NUOVO PANE DOLCE… Mini Chip Banana Bread!
My first baking endeavor in almost a week! Ah! I’ve been going through baking withdrawal, but haven’t had much time to think about it with all the work of my virtual internship and my new internship in Boston piling on me. My mentees loved the cookies I made, though!
This recipe I have been planning since last week when I knew I would have a few days without baking. I wanted to do a loaf – I haven’t made a loaf in quite some time, and I decided to make a bread I’ve never made before using my favorite fruit – bananas! The baking wheels turned in my head and I came up with this recipe for Mini Chip Banana Bread!
It really is a lovely loaf – a sight for sorry, loaf-deprived eyes, if I do say so myself. The inside is so moist and has a lovely texture. The bananas are an interesting presence – they are the star of the dessert, however they linger in the background as well, letting the mini chocolate chips throw punches of chocolaty goodness into every bite. It’s almost as if the bananas are the base on a canvas for a painting, and then all the other ingredients – cinnamon, chocolate, walnuts, and all – complement the base, bringing out the best of the base, but while also shining through with each bite. I love how the loaf gets a harder crust on the top and outside edges, while the inside is super luscious and moist. This is a great piece of sweet bread for breakfast with your cappuccino or coffee, or after dinner for dessert – try spreading some Cool Whip on it too, you won’t be sorry!
Mini Chip Banana Bread
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup white whole-wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 cup mashed ripe bananas
1/3 cup skim milk
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a loaf pan (9x5x3) with nonstick spray and set aside.
2. Sift flours, salt, baking soda and cinnamon into a bowl. Add sugars and mix.
3. In a separate bowl, fold together mashed bananas, milk, applesauce, eggs and vanilla extract until well incorporated.
4. Add half of dry ingredients into wet ingredients and stir to form the initial batter. Mix in remaining half and mix well. Fold in walnuts and mini chocolate chips until just incorporated.
5. Pour batter into loaf pan and bake for 60-70 minutes. The top of the loaf should be golden brown and the edges browned as well when the loaf is done. Insert a knife into the middle of the loaf to see if it comes out clean. If so, remove and let loaf cool in pan for 5 minutes on a wire rack. Transfer loaf out of the pan and let cool completely on rack. Cut and serve.