UNA ALTRA RICETTA PER LAVORO… Vegan Cocoa Apple Mini Muffins!
I couldn’t return to my kitchen for the holidays without trying a few healthier recipes. This is my first vegan experiment for the season – Vegan Cocoa Apple Mini Muffins!
Applesauce cake is a tradition in my family, mainly from my mother’s side. My grandmother makes amazing applesauce cake, which I’m pretty sure I didn’t appreciate as much as I should have when I was little. Granted, I was a tiny bit distracted by her decadent brownies, sweet sugar cookies, and tasty pizzelles. Now that I’ve gotten into the kitchen and have created my own recipes, I definitely see (and taste) the appeal to applesauce cake. This vegan recipe caught my eye because it reminded me of my grandmother’s cake, just with a chocolatey spin.
These mini muffins were not only super easy to make, but the process of making the batter filled my kitchen with the loveliest scent of cocoa and apples. We’re so used to smell combos like apples and cinnamon (which is part of the reason I added cinnamon into this recipe) that we often forget about how fantastic apples and other dessert-y smells go together. Thankfully, the taste of cocoa and apples together is just as wonderful as the smell is! The mini muffins pack a wonderful punch of cocoa with the lingering flavor of apples hitting your tongue just as you believe you’ve tasted all the muffin has to offer. The combination of apples and applesauce keeps these muffins moist and fluffy, and I’m so glad I decided to make this recipe as mini muffins, rather than just a full, square cake. One cake would have given me about 16 pieces, but I got almost 40 mini muffins from the same recipe! Fantastic!
Vegan Cocoa Apple Mini Muffins (yields about 3 dozen mini muffins)
Adapted from Madhuram’s Eggless Cooking Vegan Cocoa Apple Cake
1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup water
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup apple, peeled, cored, and chopped into small pieces
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray two mini muffin tins with nonstick spray.
2. In a bowl, mix together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Incorporate just enough so that the clumps are taken out.
3. In another bowl, mix together the water, applesauce, oil, lemon juice, and vanilla.
4. Add wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just blended and moist.
5. Stir in apple pieces and sugar until well combined.
6. Scoop the batter by the tablespoon into the mini muffin tins. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of a mini muffin comes out clean, about 10 minutes (mine took exactly 10 minutes). Remove from oven and let sit in tins on wire racks for 10 minutes. Take mini muffins out of times and let rest on wire racks until completely cooled.