FRUTTA FRESCA CON CIOCCOLATO… Spiced Mango Chocolate Chip Muffins!
When I saw this unique recipe mixing two of my favorite flavors—mango and chocolate—I knew I had to try it. Especially since we just bought a very tasty mango a few days ago; it was like a sign from the food gods. I’m very glad I tried combining these two unconventional flavors—Spiced Mango Chocolate Chip Muffins!
I never really thought of combining mango and chocolate in a recipe, let alone a muffin recipe. They don’t seem like they’d work together, but trust me, they do. Very well, actually. The sweet, refreshing flavor of the mango complements the deep cocoa flavor that the semi sweet chocolate chips get after baking in the oven. The addition of some comforting spices, including cinnamon and ginger, give these muffins a special twist. The mangoes and the chocolate chips are refreshing and almost summery together, but the spices give the batter a autumn-holiday feel. Imagine mixing the fresh feelings of a bright summer day with the excitement and the smells of the holidays—best of both worlds, right?
Spiced Mango Chocolate Chip Muffins
adapted from fat girl trapped in a skinny body
yields about 2 dozen muffins
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 1.2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 cup fresh mango, chopped (could use frozen, too)
1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray muffin pans with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Whisk eggs, oil, and applesauce in a small bowl and set aside.
3. In another bowl, combine flour, baking soda, sugars, baking power, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix with a spatula until well combined. Add ginger, mango, and chocolate chips. Fold into batter.
4. Scoop batter into prepared muffin tins (I used a melon-baller, a small ice cream scoop would work well, too). Make sure each muffin has the same amount of batter.
5. Bake muffins for 22-25 minutes, or until tops are golden brown and a tester stuck in the middle of a muffin comes out clean. Remove pans and let rest on wire rack for 5-10 minutes. Remove muffins from pan and transfer to wire rack to cool completely. Store in an air-tight container.